Saturday 18 March 2017

All The Stories - Just Need Time!

What I've Been Playing This Week:

King Of Tokyo: It has been a long time since I've played King Of Tokyo.  It's fun, fairly quick and simple, but had been pushed aside for newer shinier games for a good year or so.  Not sure what changed this past week, but I really felt like giving it a go and so we had a couple 5 player games.  I still enjoy it but the player elimination was a bit of a problem.  Between the first elimination and the end of the game was a good 20 minutes resulting in an unfavourable experience for one new player in the group.  Everyone else enjoyed it, but I think 4 players might just be the sweet spot!

Lords Of Waterdeep: My first time playing with the full 5 player count and I've got to say whether I'm playing with just 2,3,4 or 5 makes very little difference to my enjoyment of this worker placement classic.  With five, the game plays a bit longer, the scores were a little lower and the controversial mandatory quests had a much bigger effect.  We had a round where one player had no places available for a single worker, but the tightness in space made every choice feel a little more weighted.  I say this every time, but if you still haven't played Lords Of Waterdeep - do yourself a favour and give it a go! Oh and for the record, I'm perfectly fine playing with mandatory quests!

Jamaica:  Not a favourite of mine, Jamaica is a game I don't mind playing and always appreciate the extra effort that has gone into its production.  With a treasure chest box that's filled with gold, a treasure map rule book, and playing cards that link up to form a single picture - the makers of Jamaica have really tried to make their game special.  It's a fairly simple game that gives you enough choices to feel like your actually doing more than rolling dice, but it can be very random and luck based.  I enjoy the pirate theme and its a friends favourite game so it'll remain in the library, but I'm not rushing to go back on this sailing race again right away.

Board Games Purchased This Week:

T.I.M.E. Stories: Under The Mask: A first (failed) play through of Asylum, relieved any concerns I had knowing the rest of the scenarios missing from the library were already in the post.  Our group had a great time on our first play through and we are already making plans to get together again to solve the mystery we have started.  We've agreed to take a break in-between the different stories to make the magic last a bit longer and to have us itching to get back to it, but I know eventually we'll find ourselves playing Under The Mask.  I don't know anything about this scenario other than the fact its based in ancient Egypt, but for now it'll sit nicely with the rest of the library.

T.I.M.E. Stories: A Prophecy Of Dragons: As above.  The last missing story for the collection which now feels complete - until a new one is released!  We will play these in order and hoping to have these all completed by the end of this year.  Again I don't know much about each story (and prefer to keep it that way) but I do know I love dragons and fantasy and am eagerly awaiting this adventure.